Skip links and keyboard navigation

Social Work

at Southern Queensland Centre of Excellence, Inala

Social Workers assist in dealing with the emotional and practical issues that may arise because of your illness or the illness of a loved one. Social Workers are available to help patients, families, carers and support people in hospital and community services.

Our services include:

  • ensuring you and your family remain informed about your illness and treatment; this includes arranging family conferences and liaising with members of your treating team
  • counselling, support and group work
  • helping you to find your best way of coping with the impact of illness
  • assisting you with information about lifestyle options/resources that may be needed as a consequence of illness
  • creating a supportive environment for voicing concerns
  • assisting with the process of residential aged care placement and respite
  • facilitating support groups within the hospital
  • linking you with support groups in the community.


Social Workers can help you on many levels to provide assistance in managing the implications of serious illness.

On a psychological level, social work provides:

  • grief and loss counselling in relation to your experiences of grief and bereavement
  • crisis intervention in response to the impact of trauma on you and your family
  • supportive counselling for individuals, families and carers
  • referral to, and information on, further counseling support services on leaving hospital.

Information and assistance

We can help you in the following areas:

  • Providing direct counselling to assist with grief, loss and role transition related to health care.
  • Providing assistance with access to support and counseling services available within the community.
  • Transport issues such as eligibility for obtaining financial assistance with the cost of your travel to the hospital from regional areas.
  • Assistance in accessing appropriate housing and support via private or public housing.
  • Legal issues such as appointing someone to act on your behalf if you are unable to—giving them Enduring Power of Attorney, or making an Advance Health Directive so your wishes about what types of medical treatment you do and do not want are known if you are unable to communicate or make decisions for yourself.
  • Information about aged care services such as community support to help you remain at home, access to respite care, or residential aged care.
Last updated 22 May 2024
Last reviewed 14 November 2023