Perinatal wellbeing is the emotional and mental health of women and their infants during pregnancy and early infancy. Many women will find it hard adjusting to pregnancy or a new baby. It is not uncommon to feel overwhelmed, which may affect how they look after themselves and baby.
Around one in ten women will develop depression and/or anxiety during pregnancy and one in seven after they have their baby. If untreated, depression and/or anxiety can affect the health of women, their babies and their families. Partners can also experience problems with their wellbeing during this time.
Getting help early is important for you, your baby and family.
Who the service is for
The service is for women aged 18 years or older who are pregnant or have a baby aged up to one year and their families, living in Logan, Beaudesert or Redlands who are having trouble coping.
The Perinatal Service offers free and friendly services provided by a Nurse Practitioner and Clinical Nurse Consultants who work closely with your General Practitioner (GP), maternity services, child health services and other health staff.
- offers specialist perinatal assessment and intervention (up to six appointments)
- provides information about perinatal emotional health and wellbeing and illnesses (such as depression and anxiety)
- provides advice on the treatment of mental illness
- offers education around coping and managing stressful situations
- provides counselling, treatment and support (including prescribing medicine)
- works with you, your family, GP and other services to provide you with support
- links you to community services, non-government services and other specialists.
There are several ways to access the service:
- You can make a self-referral by contacting the service directly
- GPs, midwives, community health and other health providers can make referrals on your behalf. If you do not have a GP, the service can support you in finding one.
Services can be provided in the community, at your GP practice or, in some cases, at your own home. Services are available in Logan, Beaudesert and Redland City.
Perinatal Wellbeing Service
2C Offices, Logan Hospital
Cnr Armstrong and Loganlea Roads Meadowbrook QLD 4131
Logan/ Beaudesert Ph: 3089 2734 or Redlands Ph: 3825 6214
Fax 3089 2722