What is GP Smart Referrals?
Smart Referrals are digital referrals integrated with Best Practice and Medical Director software to enable faster, streamlined referrals to Queensland public hospitals.
Smart Referrals make it quicker and easier for General Practitioners (GPs) to refer their patients for specialist outpatient and community services ensuring referrals will be sent to the right place, first time and with all the essential referral information needed to accurately categorise as per Metro South Health MSH Refer Your Patient website.
To find out more, watch a short 5 minute Introduction to Smart Referrals video
Key features and benefits for GPs include:
- Condition specific templates that auto-populate required test results from the patient file in the Practice Management Software to assist GPs to provide the essential referral information. This ensures nothing is missed, no rework or double handling and saves practice unnecessary administrative time.
- An easy way to attach documents from the computer or clinical software. The system is capable of accepting large files (up to 25MB) and a variety of file types (e.g. images, PDF, Word documents from clinical record or computer).
- A comprehensive service directory that lists locations where services are offered and estimated wait times.
- Track and receive electronic updates into your Practice Management Software about where the referral is at along the continuum.
- Integrates with HealthPathways.
Smart Referrals ultimately provides digital capacity to facilitate the seamless receipt, registration and triage of specialist outpatient and community referrals allowing for improved referral communication, workflow efficiency, and streamlined processing.
Smart Referrals is a Queensland Health initiative and an important step in digital healthcare, creating a connected modern health system for Queenslanders. Brisbane South GPs can use Smart Referrals to refer not only to Metro South Health but also Mater, Children’s Health Queensland and most neighbouring Hospital and Health Services.
Practice Registration and Set up
Practice registration and set up is required to access Smart Referrals.
Three steps and you are ready:
- Complete Practice Registration (PDF, 257.47 KB), Terms of Access (PDF, 548.51 KB) and mail completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Installation of Smart Referrals into practice management software (no cost options available).
- Attend Smart Referrals training (virtual, face-to-face or self-directed)
Support and Training
Practices within the Metro South Hospital and Health Service catchment are supported by the MSH General Practice Liaison (GPLO) team. For registration, installation, training and support, contact the GPLO Team: Phone: 1300 364 155 (option 2)
Additional Support Resources can be found online here
Technical and Software Support
Phone: Queensland Health IT GP hotline 1300 478 439 (available 24/7)
Select Option 2: Smart Referrals