Welcome to the new pathway to refer suitable patients directly for a diagnostic endoscopic procedure at one of the four public hospitals within Metro South Health.
The Direct Access Endoscopy (DAE) pathway:
- provides patients with the most direct pathway to public endoscopy services in the region
- reduces waiting time for patients who do not require a specialist appointment prior to the procedure
- is the only direct method and point of entry to each Metro South Health facility endoscopy list
Suitable patients can be referred to DAE for suspected malignancy, positive FOBT, follow-up or surveillance procedures (no greater than 3 months from due date), strong family history of gastrointestinal cancers or confirmation of coeliac disease with positive serology (or strong suspicion despite negative serology).
Once the procedure is completed, the proceduralist will provide the referring GP with the histology results along with a brief report of the findings and recommendations for follow up.
- Under 75 year old
- BMI under 35
- Not on anticoagulation/antiplatelet therapy (including but not limited to warfarin, clopidogrel)
- No prior conditions of anaesthetic/procedural risks (including but not limited to IV access complications, sleep apnoea, implanted defibrillator)
- No alcohol or drug dependancy
- No major comorbidities (including but not limited to cardiovascular, respiratory, renal dysfunction). Only eligible to ASA PS1 and some ASA PS2 (further assessment required)
How to refer your patient
- Type in all required fields in the DAE Referral Form (PDF, 495.63 KB)
- Print completed DAE referral form
- Fax completed referral form to the Central Referral Hub, 1300 364 248
Please contact the Gastroenterology Unit at your local hospital should you require information on specific patients:
- Princess Alexandra Hospital 07 3176 2111
- Logan Hospital 07 3299 8899
- QEII Jubilee Hospital 07 3182 6111
- Redland Hospital 07 3488 3111