More positive, less stressful, individualised care
Planetree is a non-profit organisation that provides education and information to facilitate person-centred care in healing environments. It is the only program to formally recognise excellence in person-centred care.
Planetree is a person-centred and holistic approach to healthcare which means:
- caring for each person as an individual
- recognising their mental, social, emotional, spiritual and physical care needs.
Metro South Health is proud to be a Planetree Affiliate Member. We have now commenced our journey towards formal Planetree Recognition.
The Planetree philosophy of care
- We are human beings, caring for other human beings
- We are all caregivers
- Care giving is best achieved through kindness and compassion
- Safe, accessible, high quality care is fundamental to person-centred care
- Care should meet people's needs holistically—through body, mind and spirit
- Family, friends and loved ones are vital to the healing process
- Access to understandable health information can empower individuals to participate in their health care
- It is essential to give individuals the opportunity to make personal choices related to their care
- Physical environments can enhance healing, health and wellbeing
- Illness can be a transformational experience for patients, families and caregivers
The ten components of the Planetree philosophy are:
- Communicate through human touch: Using caring touch to reduce anxiety, pain and stress in patients, families and staff members.
- Family, friends and social support: Encouraging the involvement of family and friends as partners in the care experience whenever possible.
- Information and education: Providing patients with information and educational resources so they can actively participate in their own care.
- Healthy communities: Working together in partnership with community groups, schools, aged care facilities and other community partners for the health and wellness of the community.
- People caring for people: Caring for others as human beings. All individuals are caregivers and have the ability to influence the experience of patients and their families.
- Food as therapy: Providing delicious, healthy meals and making good food choices available to patients, families and staff.
- Overall wellbeing: Encouraging patients to actively participate in other activities to improve their overall wellbeing, including exercise, social activities and other complementary therapies.
- Architectural and interior design: Creating quiet, healing environments using evidence based design principles that create homelike and welcoming settings.
- Spirituality: Supporting connections with spirituality in healing for patients, families and staff.
- Arts and entertainment: Using music, artwork and crafts to enhance the clinical environment.
Read more about Planetree