What are the Maternity Hubs?
The Logan Maternity and Child Health Hubs are based on an innovative, best-practice model of care developed by the community, for the community.
The Hubs are an extension of existing services at Logan Hospital. A named midwife will support women throughout pregnancy and help them to build strong partnerships with their communities and established health services.
Joining other health professionals at the Hubs, the midwives will provide high quality healthcare that is responsive to, as well as sensitive and accepting of, cultural needs and preferences.
Why were these centres chosen?
Transport, cultural and social issues can create barriers to accessing adequate antenatal care. The Hub sites were carefully selected with these barriers to access in mind, and in consultation with the local community.
All locations have free on-site parking, are within walking distance of public transport, and have links with other healthcare and social support services.
Find out where the Maternity Hubs are located
What are the objectives of the Maternity Hubs?
The service aims to:
- increase the number of women accessing the recommended number of antenatal visits
- improve pregnancy outcomes (preterm, birthweight, APGAR, perinatal deaths)
- better coordinate and connect women to the health, community and social support services they need for a healthy pregnancy
- determine why women birthing in the Logan catchment are not currently accessing the recommended number of antenatal visits and put strategies in place to improve this.
Who can access the service?
The Maternity Hubs are open to women who do not currently access maternity services, who live in the Logan Council area, and who are:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander
- Maori and Pacific Islander
- culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) or non-English speaking women, including refugees
- young women under the age of 18.
The eligibility of other women with individual circumstances who may require this service will be determined on a case by case basis by the woman and the hub midwives.