The Department of Kidney Services is a medical specialty concerned with all aspects related to the kidneys and their function. The kidneys are vital organs that filter the bloodstream, clearing waste products and controlling the body’s level of water and chemicals.
Chronic kidney disease is a condition where a person has evidence of kidney damage or reduced kidney function. People with end-stage kidney disease require dialysis or a kidney transplant to stay alive.
Download these Resources (PDF, 209.15 KB) for a list of websites for kidney patients, family and carer information and support.
Princess Alexandra Hospital is Queensland’s only centre for highly specialised nephrology (kidney care) and kidney transplants.
Our services include:
- consultation and management of people at various stages of the disease
- dialysis at hospital or in the home
- a 16-bed renal inpatient ward with access to a team of highly experienced and caring nephrologists
- a kidney transplant service for all of Queensland and northern New South Wales
- quaternary services for people who need nephrology care combined with other specialist care (e.g. cardiac or liver).