Skip links and keyboard navigation

Helpful Government Services

Where can I find a Justice of the Peace or Commissioner for Declarations?

Justices of the Peace (JPs) or Commissioners of Declarations (Cdecs) are trained Queenslanders who can witness and certify legal documents such as the Enduring Power of Attorney or Advance Health Directive.

Find a JP or Cdec close to you.

What does the Office of the Public Guardian do and how can it help me?

The Office of the Public Guardian (OPG) protects the rights, interests and wellbeing of adults with impaired decision-making capacity, and children and young people in the child protection system. 

The Public Guardian can:

  • make personal and health decisions for adults with impaired capacity if the OPG is the person’s guardian or attorney
  • investigate allegations of abuse, neglect or exploitation of adults with impaired capacity
  • advocate and mediate for people with impaired capacity
  • administer the Community Visitor Program
  • provide advice and assistance to guardians
  • educate and advise the community about guardianship. 

For assistance with any of the above visit  or contact 1300 653 187.

While you are still able to make your own decisions, you can nominate the Public Guardian to be your attorney for personal/health matters in an Enduring Power of Attorney or Advance Health Directive.

Further information about the Application for Public Guardian to act as Attorney is available at

How can the Public Trustee Queensland help me?

The Public Trustee Queensland can assist you with the completion of an Enduring Power of Attorney document (a fee may apply).  They also offer free Wills, investment, executor and financial administration services to all Queenslanders. There are 15 branches in locations across Queensland.

For more information, visit the Public Trustee website or call 1300 360 044.

How can Aged and Disability Advocates Australia help me?

Aged and Disability Advocates Australia (ADA Australia) is a not-for-profit, independent, community-based advocacy and education service supporting and improving the wellbeing of older people and people with disability.

They provide advocacy services to older people and people with disability in metropolitan, regional, rural and remote communities across Queensland.  Their services are free, confidential and client focused.

To find out more information about ADA and how they may be able to help you, visit their or contact them on 1800 818 338.  

Last updated 6 October 2021
Last reviewed 2 July 2020